If you are ever planning a holiday to Greece, then you should definitely visit the peaceful Skopelos island. This little paradise is the perfect place to be since it is an island for everyone’s taste.
It offers the perfect setting for families, romantic couples, and nature lovers to escape from everyday duties and enjoy the quiet, away from the busy city life. The beautiful and peaceful atmosphere in this place will make you recharge your batteries, relax your body and rest your mind.
Here are top 4 reasons why Skopelos island is one of the ideal places you should visit in Greece:
1. Amazing Beaches
The island of Skopelos is blessed with gorgeous exotic beaches which are mostly known for their crystal clear waters. So, this place is ideal for summer lovers and those who enjoy swimming and sunbathing all day long.
Here are some of the most famous Aegean sea beaches that are worth visiting:
- Panormos. This sandy beach with amazing surroundings and the lush green setting is located on the northern part of the island. It is about 12 km from Skopelos town, but itis easily accessible. On this beach, you can see some of the most stunning sunsets.
- Kastani. It is the most organized beach on the island, and it is about 15 km away from the town. It is mostly famous for the filming scenes of the movie Mamma Mia. Here you can take some of the most perfect pictures because you can see lots of beautiful pine trees reaching the seashore.
- Stafilos. This is the nearest beach you will find if you drive south, only about 4 km from the town. It is surrounded by beautiful pine bay, sand, and natural and unspoiled environment.
- Milia. It is one of the most idyllic places to relax which most consider as the most beautiful beach around the island. The crystal clear turquoise waters with small pebbles make it attractive for tourists and ideal for diving. This fantastic beach is about 14 km away from the town.
Each of the beaches of the island is unique, so no matter which of them you visit, you will have a wonderful time.
2. Breathtaking Views
If you go around Skopelos island, you will enjoy many eye-catching landscapes. This place has so many breathtaking views that you will fall in love with.
If you like walking or cycling, get ready to see some amazing things there:
- Ancient churches. There are many stunning churches on this island, and most of them are post-Byzantine. The church of Agios Ioannis Kastri is on the top of a barren sea rock, and it has the most impressive view.
- The old town. It is a labyrinth of paths and roads. This is a magical place where you can explore nice houses with beautiful gardens, white-washed walls, narrow cobbled passages, and much more.
- Monuments. There are several historical monuments on this island that are connected to the Byzantine period.
- Nature. You will see an amazing pine forest with plenty of springs where you can refresh.
On the island, two main roads are connected to a network of smaller trails and hilly landscapes, so you can easily get from one place to another while enjoying the sightseeing.
All these wonderful places make the island a great holiday destination for many tourists from around the world.
3. Interesting Activities
Skopelos island is a place for visitors of every age. There’s a little for everyone to do and there are different activities you can enjoy.
On this island, you can go:
- Kayaking and explore deserted beaches, secret coves, rugged cliffs, sea caves, etc.
- Sailing on the Aegean sea and have an experience of a lifetime. You’ll get the chance to visit beautiful beaches that are only reachable by boat.
- Hiking in the lovely nature of the island and admire the unique biodiversity.
- Diving in the crystal clear waters and enjoy the underwater natural beauty.
If you don’t prefer doing sport, then you can always go to some of the traditional restaurants and read some nice book. Or simply have a drink while you enjoy the sound of the sea waves.
4. Delicious Cuisine
One of the things that Greece is most famous for is its cuisine. And, while you are at Skopelos, you can try some of the most delicious and freshly produced local dishes.
The cuisine on the island mostly features with seafood specialities traditionally prepared. So, before you leave, make sure you try one of the most popular dishes Astakos Giouvetsi. It is a lobster which they bake and serve with orzo pasta.
And, if you don’t really like seafood, then you can try the local pies and pastries. Chicken pie and cheese pie are super tasty.
Can We Help You Find A Place To Stay In Skopelos Island?
The beautiful landscape, the amazing beaches, the breathtaking views, and the delicious cuisine, make Skopelos a perfect summer holiday destination. Here, you can relax your mind, rest your body, and reconnect with nature and yourself.
Take your camera and make some memories because this peaceful island will stay in your heart for the rest of your life.
Can we help you find a place to stay in Skopelos Island? Check our rentals and book your ideal holiday now.